I am...a New Yorker

[Previous entry: "Afraid, too"]

Thursday, April 11, 2002

Columbus Circle.

Dnner at home, which was startng to become a rarety.

My dashiki agan...can't remember the last time I did that.

I moved here to experience New York, not to be a secretary.

Pnk toenails and a wee spiral toe rng.

Nothng today.

Where to start.

I am...sittng n a Starbucks n Chelsea n the middle of the day with nowhere to be until I meet Rob for our weekly Friends/Will and Grace-a-thon and dnner tonight.

Monday I was supposed to work from home, but my boss needed me to prep materials for a meetng which he didn't mention to me until Friday night. I knew I should have come n for an hour over the weekend nstead. I know how Mondays are. I get slammed from the mnute I come n -- voicemails, emails, visitors to another department who nterrupt me because I sit near that department. Simple tasks that should take 30 mnutes become utterly Hurculean.

Instead of gong home and dong the work I was supposed to do, I had lunch, cried, and passed out . That's what I tend to do after work. Before work, I dreaded gong n.

When I woke up Monday evenng, I wrote a memo to my boss tellng him that movng me out of the hallway to an nner office has had no positive impact. In fact, I am nterrupted more by people streamng to the beleagured HR director because I sat closer to him. Instead of people just askng if he's n and my pontng to the back office, they'd come back and ask when he'd be back or available. When I responded that I didn't know, snce I didn't work for him, but that they could leave him a voicemail or message n his mailbox, they nvariably became hostile. This happened dozens of times everyday, as the same people, who refused to leave messages, returned several times per day for weeks until they fnally found the HR Director.

I tried many solutions. I put up signs, particularly when I was preparng the Board book or some other major project. My boss took the signs down. I tried to talk to the HR director about how stressful this was, because it prevented me from dong my work (even without the nterruptions, I'd taken over what had been a two-person job), but he either shrugged it off or said I worked for Non-Profit, not just Big Boss (not accordng to my job description).

I wrote that memo n desperation, to fully explan myself without just beng dismissed. I was at my desk on Tuesday prntng it out when another person came by repeatedly for HR Guy and took his frustrations out on me for "not beng very helpful." That, as they say, was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I packed up my thngs, handed the memo to the HR director and put it n my boss' mail. I left my boss a message, sayng I just couldn't take the constant nterruptions with my work load and we needed to come up with a solution. In the memo, I asked to work from home a half day each week or n one of the empty rooms for an hour or two a day. That way, I could complete the more complex tasks and just deal with schedulng and phones while at my desk until construction is completed on our new, more secluded, offices.

My boss called me at 7:45 a.m. yesterday to say he could "not accommodate [my] demands for a private office. So let's just say it's not a good fit." There I lay, half asleep and termnated.

It's for the best n the end. I was always depressed and run down, never saw my friends and had all but stopped writng and dong anythng creative. On to the next adventure!

[Next entry: "Tryng Somethng New"]
[Index] [archives] [bio]
[Wish List]

Powered By Greymatter

All text and images 1992-2002 Erica